Numbers and Characteristics
- There are 97,114 veteran women-owned businesses in the United States.
- Veteran women-owned firms across the country have total receipts of $15.8 billion.
- Women-owned firms make up 3.97% of all veteran nonfarm businesses across the country.
- A full 89.8% of these firms are non-employer firms, with average receipts of $23,143.
- The remaining 10.2% of the firms have paid employees, employing a total of 69,875 people across the country with a payroll of $2.1 billion. These employer firms have average receipts of $1.4 million.
- Just 1.2% of all women-owned firms across the country are owned by veteran women.
- The South has the highest representation (1.6%) followed by the West (1.2%), the Midwest (1.1%) and the Northeast (0.7%).
- The states with the largest number of veteran women-owned businesses are: California (9,780), Texas (8,604), and Florida (8,274).
- The top industries for veteran women include: health care and social assistance (18.2% of all veteran WOBs are in this sector), other services (14.3%), professional, scientific, and technical services (13.9%), and retail trade (12.9%).
- Industries least represented by veteran WOBs include management of companies and enterprises (.03%), utilities (.06%), and agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting (.42%).