March 8 is International Women’s Day – and we’re celebrating! Every year on this day, the world unites to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievement of women. Women and their business endeavors have contributed to the global economy in so many amazing ways. Today is your day.
- Join in with #WomenEntrepreneursWorldwide and #IWD2016.
- We’ll be at Halcyon Incubator – a residential incubator for social ventures – this afternoon, meeting with some amazing young women who are innovating and problem-solving. Follow along with #GreatHerImpact on twitter.
A special thanks to those of you who joined for the Council’s Public Meeting yesterday. Not to worry if you missed it, we’ll be posting a recap of the meeting later this week – check it out on our blog. In the meantime, you can also learn about the brand new research that we unveiled yesterday…
The Growth and Development of Women-Owned Enterprises in the United States, 2002 – 2012
It’s an analysis of the key trends and findings in women’s business ownership, comparing figures from the 2002, 2007, and 2012 Surveys of Business Owners. Key findings include:
- Women are launching a net of more than 1,100 new businesses every single day!
- Women-owned businesses employ over 8 million workers and generate over $1.4 trillion in revenues.
- Women-owned businesses comprise 36% of the country’s businesses – which is an increase of 2 million women-owned businesses in this post-recession era.