The National Women’s Business Council – a non-partisan federal advisory council created to serve as an independent source of advice and counsel to the President, Congress, and the U.S. Small Business Administration on economic issues of impact and importance to women entrepreneurs – is hiring for a Special Assistant to join the team in 2016.
The Special Assistant position combines administrative duties with organizational duties. The Council is looking for a relentless perfectionist with a positive attitude who is ready and willing to take on anything with a battle cry of “no task is too large and no task is too small.” The Special Assistant will serve as confidential assistant and scheduler to the Executive Director. The Special Assistant will act as the office manager – which includes procuring supplies and equipment, bookkeeping, tracking attendance, and managing correspondence, and printing – and a liaison to other departments, notably SBA operations, within the government. The Special Assistant will provide research, travel, and organizational support to the Executive Director, and other staff and Council Members as directed. The Special Assistant will supervise the Council’s budget and spending. The Special Assistant will provide additional organizational support in the development and implementation of NWBC initiatives. S/He must respect the confidential nature of activities, records, conferences and communications in which the Executive Director is engaged. This role will require close coordination with staff and the Council Members, and external entities. The Special Assistant will report directly to the Executive Director.
This entry-level role is ideal for an ambitious, bright, outgoing recent graduate with an interest in entrepreneurship, women, or both, and a strong sense of personal initiative.
You don’t have to know everything about the issue, but a passion to learn is an absolute must. What matters more is your ability to handle a wide range of time-sensitive administrative responsibilities while positively representing the Council and the Executive Director office internally and externally. The ability to juggle multiple administrative tasks with enthusiasm and positive energy is critical for success.
- Undergraduate degree
- 1-3 years relevant internship or work experience
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and a sense of urgency
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative
- Know-how with web research, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Talent for writing high-quality professional correspondence
- Ability to work independently
- Professional demeanor and presence
- Commitment to the Council’s mission
A successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate leadership experience
- Have experience with customer service and/or sales
- Have an ability to multitask and shift priorities
- Have an aptitude for working on deadline in a fast-paced environment
- Have organizational and critical thinking skills
- Be creative, innovative, and forward thinking
- Display a high level of interpersonal skills and judgment, exhibiting poise, tact, and diplomacy
- Work well with others and bring a positive & constructive attitude to the workplace and the Council
This is a full-time employment position based in Washington, DC. Salary will be negotiated based on qualifications and experience. The position starts at $38,000. Full government benefits are included.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com with “Special Assistant” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is December 31st, 2015. Applications will be reviewed as they come in, and the position will be filled as soon as possible.